I have observed

~ I have observed ~ By the Safety Cynic (that's me)

I have observed the poor and careless efforts of leaders, I have seen the result of lax systems and overcomplicated methodologies. I have seen the promotion of hiding valuable truths and judging with a protective bias. I have seen the misguided.

It is for these deficiencies I get frustrated...doing is so easy.

We often see a long list of recommendations after a major incident, we often see over reactive actions. We see many say what should have happened, what should have been done and what should have been in place, this said often by those who should have done in the first place. This in-itself is reactive. "Those should haves, should have done".

I believe what we all need to "do" is get talking, get asking questions, get thinking, get listening, get time to evaluate news and information, get time to read and learn from experts and non-experts who have been writing about how to improve safety for years and get active by being proactively focused on failures.

We need to not only read through these mindful views; we need to put them into practice. I have heard many people say "yeah, I read that or went to that course" only to not apply anything that was promoted.

The only way we are ever going to reduce these controllable incidents is if we "get serious" not "consider serious". Training has to be functional, risk management has to be implemented, incident investigations need to be thorough and most of all; we need to ensure pressures are controlled in an manner that gives conducting tasks an ethical sense of practicality.

Safety does not belong to the safety department or to the safety officer; safety belongs to each one of us and each one of us is within an entity, and entities should be as one. MD


If you feel anything on this site is incorrect or false, please let me know and I will investigate.

I also need to aplogise for any spelling mistakes...I am not an educated person and believe it or not left school mostly illiterate.


Rambling for the Cynic

Some experts have labelled the term cynic under the old meaning and telling everyone that being cynical/skeptical is bad for business, well to those with closed bias minds, let me just remind you that the world is mostly where it is today by the skeptic, cynics, critical thinkers of yesteryear. So here was my response to this cynical view point about cynics;

Just jump off the cliff, everyone else did…

Just follow that rule, it was written by an expert…

Just do it this way, it’s the only way…

Hold up says the cynic, let us scrutinise these things first!

The Oxford English Dictionary describes a cynic as someone who is "distrustful or incredulous of human goodness and sincerity", skeptical of human merit, often mocking or sarcastic. These points might be true, but I don’t feel they necessarily reflect the modern age cynic either, as there can be both good and bad cynics.  

Being a cynic has many advantages (cautious, truth-finding, open), it also has many disadvantages (stereotyped, wrongly judged, ostracised). Many people are closed minded and bound by social expectations and fears, so cynics are and have always been stripped naked.

The impression I get is that a lot of people simply see a cynic as a melancholic Grinch, but there’s really nothing I can see that proves all cynics have a distaste of everything, they just question and doubt. Cynics refuse to be typecast as optimistic conformists. Cynics are mostly realists who know that the world is not the utopian fantasy promoted by overly positive-thinking gurus; the ones who do not see or sense risk very well.

We got here to this present day by the cynics of the past, some were killed off, some lived in pots with dogs, and some live in exile. Some though made it through the closed-mindedness periods to become scientists and innovators, the very people, whom through much tenacity and effort managed to make our world a bit better in some way for everyone via being cynical.    

Everyone in their own right is a cynic, it's a natural instinct to doubt and think twice (well I thought so anyway). Like with everything to do with human psychology, some people sit at the lower end of the scale (the accepters), and some sit at the extreme end (the challenges). I suppose I am at the extreme end of cynicism because I don’t accept anything on face value or hearsy; I have a great desire to find improvement and truth and the best way is to be cynical. You don’t find improvements and truth by being optimistic (state of mind that believes everything is as it should be, and that the future will be as well) as being optimistic is ignoring real facts, not many great ideas came from those who were not a sceptical about something. 

Someone once told me a leaf is green and the sky is blue, I said no it is not, at least not in any literal sense anyway… how did I know this? because I am a cynic, and cynics get to the truth, they don’t just accept.

What has this got to do with safety and risk?

Good cynics;

·         find hazards

·         find the truth

·         say the truth in everyone’s best interests

·         look out for possible issues

·         try to improve on old out-dated thinking

·         keep it real

So go on, learn how to become a proactive risk cynic, blow away the murkiness and confusion and see reality with rationality and clarity with eyes wide open, you might just find that jumping off that cliff is not really the best way.